The 27th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP27) will bring together government heads, ministers and negotiators, climate activists, local elected leaders, and private sector innovators for the largest global annual gathering on climate action.
In the face of increasing extreme weather events, greenhouse gas emissions, and an energy crisis, COP27 in the Egyptian coastal city of Sharm el-Sheikh seeks to accelerate action to meet the goals of the landmark Paris Agreement.
CALSTART and its Drive to Zero program and campaign will lead, partner and support a number of events at COP 27. To attend, please register for COP27 here.
- Drive to Zero event: Zero-emission trucks are here! Financing the transition (Blue Zone, We Mean Business Pavilion – Nov. 17 at 1730-1830 LIVESTREAM). The technology for zero emission freight transportation rapidly becomes available and is soon cost-competitive, this provides great opportunities to reap the full benefits of cost-saving, lesser oil dependency, climate, health and air quality. This high-level event will highlight the contributions governments, (institutional) investors and business can make to accelerate technology development and market uptake of zero-emission freight solutions. Security badges are required. Participants include:
- Vivianne Heijnen, Minister for the Environment, Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management of the Netherlands
- Andreas Kammel, Traton Group
- Christophe Wolf, Smart Freight Centre
- Wolfgang Brand, CV Charging Europe
- Binyam Reja, World Bank
- How can international initiatives solve the main bottlenecks of road freight electrification? (Blue Zone, WMBC Business Pavilion, Nov. 14 at 1330-1430 GMT+2). Drive to Zero will speak/present at this Smart Freight Centre event focusing on how to overcome obstacles associated with zero-emission transport. Security badges are required.
- Delivering on transport decarbonization: Companies, cities, regions and countries working together (Blue Zone, We Mean Business Pavilion, Nov. 15 at 1430-1800 GMT+2). The Transport Decarbonisation Alliance (TDA) will lead this high-level session, with Drive to Zero presenting an update on the landmark Global Memorandum of Understanding on Zero-Emission Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles (Global MOU). Security badges are required.
- The ZE-MHDV ecosystem: Canadian and global successes and next steps (Blue Zone, Canadian Pavilion, Nov. 15, 900-1000 GMT+2) Transport Canada will highlight the leading edge regulations and programs that make the country a global zero-emission transport leader. The benefits of a just transition in transportation – lessons learned from climate leaders. Organizers include ZEV Community (Under2 Coalition) and the Government of Québec. Security badges are required.
- Future of international road freight: one year on (Blue Zone, UK Pavilion, Nov. 17, 1130-123o GMT +2). The United Kingdom will lead an event examining government support for ZE-HDVs, the co-benefits of the ZE transition, and enhancing diversity in the road freight sector. The UK’s Department of Transport is organizing. Security badges are required.
- India’s Electric Mobility Revolution and Breakthroughs: (Blue Zone, India Pavillion, Nov. 17, 1500-1600 GMT +2). Hosted by NITI Aayog and the World Economic Forum, the panel will bring together representatives from the central government of India, as well as OEMs, multilateral development banks, and global think tanks to discuss India’s EV revolutionary journey and showcase the innovative business models being adopted to achieve an accelerated transition. Key topics of discussion will include India’s ambitious climate action in promoting e-mobility, innovative supply and demand side initiatives supporting India’s transition, unique features and areas of strength for India’s e-mobility transition, opportunities around electrification of MDVs and HDVs, and tools to accelerate EV adoption across on gig economy platforms. Security badges are required.
Additional events coming soon! Participants and media can register here for COP27.