As representatives of sub-national governments, businesses, and other organizations with influence over the freight truck and bus industry and road transport, we fully endorse the ambition of the Global Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Zero-Emission Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles (ZE-MHDVs). The MOU aligns countries around a joint ambition for ZE-MHDVs, aiming for 30% new MHDVs being zero emissions by 2030, and 100% by 2040, as to facilitate net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.
We endorse the MOU as part of the wider and coherent efforts to accelerate the ZEV transition. We will work together to overcome strategic, political, and technical barriers, accelerate ZEV production and deployment, and increase investment and economies of scale, to make the transition faster, more cost effective, and easier for everyone. Recognizing that more efforts are needed in emerging markets and lower income countries we strive to work with these economies in ways that will enable them to realize the MOU ambition.
We will contribute to this transition in the following ways:
- As sub-national governments, we strive to convert our owned or leased MHDV fleets to zero-emission vehicles in line with the MOU ambition, as well as putting in place policies to enable, accelerate, or otherwise incentivize the transition to zero-emission vehicles as soon as possible, to the extent possible given our jurisdictional powers.
- As MHDV manufacturers and suppliers, we aspire to reach 30% ZE-MHDV sales by 2030, and 100% ZE-MHDV sales by 2040 worldwide.*
- As fleet owners and operators, we aim towards 100% of our MHDV fleets being ZEVs by 2040, recognizing that we strive for an earlier transition of the lighter MHDV segments.
- As utilities and infrastructure providers, we support an accelerated transition to ZE-MHDVs, recognizing the importance of zero-emission charging and fuelling infrastructure and solutions to enable the MOU ambition. We will work together with industry and government partners to support infrastructure roll-out such that charging and fuelling infrastructure availability is no longer a barrier to the full transition to ZE-MHDVs by 2040. As utilities, we also strive to provide sufficient charging capacity and grid integration to enable the full transition towards ZE-MHDVs by 2040. As infrastructure providers, we strive to provide an extensive infrastructure network to enable the Global MOU ambition.
- As investors with significant shareholdings in MHDV manufacturers and fleets, we support an accelerated transition to zero-emission vehicles in line with the MOU ambition. We will proactively engage and escalate these issues with investees, coupled with encouraging all our holdings to decarbonise their fleets and invest in clean infrastructure and energy supply.
- As financial institutions, we aim to support the ZEV transition by making capital and financial products available to enable this transition for consumers, businesses, charging infrastructure providers and manufacturers.
- As multilateral development banks, recognizing our obligation as providers of public finance to climate and sustainable development, as well as our vital role in mobilizing private investment, we commit to reorient our transportation related investments across all sectors towards ZEVs and ZEV supporting infrastructure.
- As other signatories, we support an accelerated transition to ZE-MHDVs in line with the MOU ambition.
Subnational Government Endorsers
Manufacturer and Supplier Endorsers
Fleet Owner and Operator Endorsers
Utility and Infrastructure Provider Endorsers
* We aspire to reach 30% ZE-MHDV sales by 2030, and over 90% ZE-MHDV sales by 2040 worldwide, recognizing that the remaining sales share in 2040 should be powered by 100% fossil-free energy.
** BREYTNER has been a core business zero emission transport company since 2014 and supports all action taken to further speed up the transition towards zero emission transport. Already there is so much possible when you combine intrinsical motivation, vision, good partnerships and willingness to innovate because that can be used as a force for good. We believe we can achieve great things when working together and understanding the hurdles that need to be taken. Inspiring other companies and sharing our lessons learned are part of our DNA. Let’s start your zero emission journey today!